LATEST SCHEMES/YOJANAS IN 2017
Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty Scheme (VAJRA)
Launched: 8th January, 2017
During the 14thPravasiBharatiya Divas Convention at Bengaluru, Honorable PM has announced the launching of VAJRA by the Department of Science and Technology which enables NRIs and overseas scientific community to participate and contribute to research and development in India. The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body of the Department will implement the Scheme
- To tap the expertise of International Faculty / scientists/technologists including Non-resident Indians (NRI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) / Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) in highly competitive areas of research and development by offering them adjunct / visiting faculty positions in Indian Institutions / Universities for specific period of time.
- Engaging NRI / PIO / OCIs in National R&D Programs and thereby deepen their engagement for value addition to various S&T programs, projects and missions of the Government.
- To catalyze possible institutional collaborations through faculty exchange.
- VAJRA Faculty Scheme has been conceptualized to bring an international dimension to the R&D ecosystem of India by leveraging overseas scientists’ expertise to the Indian research framework
- The area of research under taken by the Faculty should be of interest to India including translation of science to practice. Faculty can also do teaching / mentoring during the period of stay. They could play other related roles in scouting for potential technologies within the Institution, review etc. and act as Mentors of start-ups housed at the Institution.
- VAJRA faculty will undertake research in S&T priority areas of nation wherein the capability and capacity are needed to be developed. The VAJRA faculty will engage in collaborative research in public funded institutions.
- The residency period of the VAJRA Faculty in India would be for a minimum of 1 month and a maximum of 3 months a year.
- The VAJRA Faculty is provided a lump-sum amount of US$ 15000 in the first month of residency in a year and US$ 10000 p.m. in the other two months to cover their travel and honorarium. While no separate support is provided for e.g. accommodation, medical / personal insurance etc. the host institute may consider providing additional support. The payment to the faculty will be made in Indian Rupees
- The Indian collaborator and the overseas faculty will jointly frame a research plan and the application duly endorsed by the Head of the Institution will be submitted online by the Indian collaborator.
- A Selection Committee of eminent scientists will evaluate the applications. The Committee will meet twice a year in January and July and make recommendations. SERB will announce the results in the month of April and September.
- Public funded academic institutions and national laboratories are eligible to host the VAJRA Faculty. These institutions should appoint them as Adjunct / Visiting Faculty and involve them in co-guiding and mentoring of students and developing collaborative programs. The Faculty can also be allowed to participate in other academic activities as agreed to by the host institution and the Faculty.
- The scheme is open to overseas scientist / faculty /R&D professional including Non-resident Indians (NRI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) / Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
- Should be an active researcher working with overseas academic / research / industrial organizations with proven track record of research and development.
- Applications can be submitted at any time during the year. Applications are only received online, at serbonline.in.
- The Selection Committee constituted for the purpose of selection of VAJRA Faculty meets twice a year in every January and July and make recommendations.
- The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) announce the results in the month of April and September.
- The selected faculty details will be shared with Ministry of External Affairs for making appropriate references in the Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas scheduled during January every year.